Warm shortbread just smells like heaven to me. They are easy peasy and simply delicious. I am such a chocolate lover that I just HAD to dip them in chocolate, but you can also enjoy them plain, or if you feel a little adventurous dip them in chocolate like I did and sprinkle them with crushed candy cane, or crushed peanuts/hazelnuts, while the chocolate is still soft.
This time I have used this recipe, which turned out fantastic.
- 125g of soft butter
- 55g caster sugar
- 180g plain flour
- 100g dark chocolate
- 4 tablespoon of milk
- Heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- Beat the butter and the sugar together until smooth.
- Stir in the flour to get a smooth paste. Turn on to a work surface and gently roll out until the paste is 1cm/½in thick.
- Cut into rounds or fingers and place onto a baking tray. Sprinkle with icing sugar and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until pale golden-brown. Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
- Melt your chocolate and milk over the stove, or in the microwave if you're feeling lazy.
- When your biscuits are cool, dip them in chocolate. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Keep in air tight container (if there are any left at the end of the day)
If by any chance you have some melted chocolate left, add some milk to it, a little sugar, heat it up while stirring it, and you'll get some delicious homemade hot chocolate to have with your shortbread.